FAMILIES AND SCHOOLS TOGETHER (FAST)
FAST works for Children
The goal of the FAST program is to encourage families to be involved in their children’s education, to enhance their academic progress, and to feel welcome in public schools.
FAST is a coalition of education advocates, community groups, and schools working together to foster family involvement in education. All Abbott Districts are eligible to participate.
FAST programs are currently underway in several districts, including Atlantic City, Bridgeton, Burlington City, Camden, East Orange, Elizabeth, Jersey City, New Brunswick, Newark, North Plainfield, Orange, Passaic City, Pemberton, Trenton, Vineland, Wanaque, West Windsor – Plainsboro, Winslow Twp., and others are beginning.
Programs in action
- Partnerships, discussions, and programs focusing on family involvement.
- Support for legislation that would allow parents to take time away from work, without loss of pay, to address children’s needs at school.
- Family involvement workshops through which parents and caregivers learn more about helping children succeed in school. These events include activities for children so that families can attend them together.
- A student essay contest, encouraging children to write about a “hero” in their family.
- Visits by school employees to participating places of worship and other community meeting places to invite and encourage parents and caregivers to participate in teacher conferences and school activities.
- An interactive poster with the theme “The Hero in My Family,” which young children share with the adults in their lives. The posters will be shared with families through the participating churches by their liasons.
- To find out how your District can participate, contact Janet Morrison at (609) 599-4561 ext. 2391.
- FAST is a jointly sponsored effort of the New Jersey Education Association, its local affiliates, the Statewide Parents Advocacy Network, and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc, with additional program support from the NAACP Statewide Education Committee and ASPIRA.
Family Involvement is Key
Research tells us about the importance of family involvement in their children’s education. When families are involved in their children’s education children:
- Achieve higher grades and test scores
- Have better attendance at school
- Do more homework
- Behave better in school